ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Thread: Highlands-Owensboro

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
I was feeling Owensboro until they needed a crazy play to beat North Oldham. I think Highlands rolls, but I'm not counting out the Devils.

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:
Can't help but to kinda want Owensboro to win, though.
Yeah, I kinda want Owensboro to win too Alex, lol. I think Mac could be right though. I've watched Highlands for about 30 minutes now and boy is their execution on point! I think from a shear talent standpoint, OHS probably matches up pretty well against the Birds, but Highlands will make you pay for any mistakes you make. OHS, while winning, is still making a ton of mistakes. The OHS-North Oldham game shouldn't have come down to the wire like that. OHS was 3 touchdowns better than North Oldham but mistakes led to North Oldham staying in the game and almost winning. If OHS turns the ball over against Highlands they have the have the last 2 games, Highlands will put a running clock on OHS. If OHS can play mistake free football (no turnovers) then I think there is the potential to see something special.

devil.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Devils58:

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:
Can't help but to kinda want Owensboro to win, though.
Yeah, I kinda want Owensboro to win too Alex, lol. I think Mac could be right though. I've watched Highlands for about 30 minutes now and boy is their execution on point! I think from a shear talent standpoint, OHS probably matches up pretty well against the Birds, but Highlands will make you pay for any mistakes you make. OHS, while winning, is still making a ton of mistakes. The OHS-North Oldham game shouldn't have come down to the wire like that. OHS was 3 touchdowns better than North Oldham but mistakes led to North Oldham staying in the game and almost winning. If OHS turns the ball over against Highlands they have the have the last 2 games, Highlands will put a running clock on OHS. If OHS can play mistake free football (no turnovers) then I think there is the potential to see something special.

devil.r191677.gif
No, Devil. You of all people want Owensboro to win? I would never believe it. But I guess I have to.

You're right when I was the Bluebirds this year their execution was well above par. Biggest challenge is staying disiplen on the many different option plays they run. And boy and Beau go.

Ashland's speed on defense caused some issues for FTH....Owensboro has moved the ball well on everyone...D58 has it right..it's all about execution and not turning it over. If the can get some TO's out of FTH they can win. Owensboro can eat huge chunks of time off the clock...get some defensive stops and they are in business

This post was edited on 12/1 2:44 PM by Mr Brownstone

Believe me, I would LOVE an Owensboro win. It would be great for HS Football in Kentucky for Owensboro to win.

Question - Highlands used to sub in new WR's each play then try to snap ball quickly. Under High School rules, if the offense subs doesn't the defense get a chance to sub each play as we'll?

If so, I would take my time each play to sub in at least 1.

I am with the general consensus of everyone in this thread. OHS will have their backs against the wall in this one. I would love nothing more to see OHS bring this title back home but it is going to be tough! Highlands have been OHS's kryptonite the last couple state title appearances - but then again Joe Prince wasn't coaching in those games! I mean he does have huge balls! Anything can happen and I believe we all saw that happen this past Friday night! This OHS bunch seems to be a team of destiny! Hoping the glass slipper fits in Bowling Green! By God it better be a big glass slipper for Big Joe's foot!

BRING IT HOME BOYS!!!!

D58 great point on the podcast -Highlands has a great program,but this team isn't loaded with the number and types of athletes (with the exception of Hoge and venneman)as the Lorenzen/Guidugli teams. I've seen a lot of talk on other boards and I think that is part of their modus operandi. OHS isn't the favorite, but they have a ton of playmakers, speed and desire. This team will come to play and they'll expect to win.

This post was edited on 12/2 1:12 AM by Mr Brownstone

Going to be a big game for the defensive linemen from Owensboro. Containing Hoge is no small task. Whether it be on a scramble or it be a designed run or option -- he's deceptively quick and great with angles.

And you all mention the talent or lack there of at highlands -- to that I say I'm under the impression that it's always been like that. Three, four top kids then just a bunch of assignment, discipline football players that are as well coached as they get. I mean a few years here and there, sure the talent level was up and this year they don't really have two or three studs, but I always have thought what made Highlands so good was not the studs but the rest of the roster who played smart mistake-free football.

If Owensboro is physical and tough, they will be in the ball game. A lot of squads have been able to hang with Highlands this season and I think Owensboro will be able to as well. Like others on here have said though, Highlands will make you pay for any mistakes and they are going to hit on a few deep balls. They have hit the deep ball on every single team including the South Florida boys. The key for Owensboro is not to get down on themselves when it happens.

Thanks for listening to the podcast Mr. Brownstone! I think nptb's point is the reason why Owensboro has any shot to win this game. This OHS football never gives up, even when things are going bad. In years past (ie 99, 2000) when things were going wrong, OHS would look to Justin Miller or Bo Smith to bail them out and if they couldn't then the kids would kind of just close up shop. This OHS team will fight and scrap even if they're down by a couple of touchdowns. Highlands is going to come out and punch OHS straight in the mouth. What the Birds might not realize is, OHS will punch them straight back in the mouth and ask for another. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will walk out with the 4A state title. Highlands gives OHS a ton of problems, but don't fool yourself, OHS will give them problems as well.

devil.r191677.gif

Mr Brownstone, you say Highlands does not have the athletes they have had in the past when beating OHS. That may be true. But OHS also doesn't have players the likes of Justin Miller, Bo Smith, Getty Cavitt, Buster Ashley. I hope OHS can pull off the upset, but it is not likely. They scored 47 points on a pretty good Lexington Catholic team.

-----I am a Joe Prince and Devil's fan but they have been living on the edge the past two games. All Coach Martin had to do in the North Oldham game was call time out with 3 or 4 seconds left and the field goal would have been the last play of the game. Joe's gutsy calls against the Maroons proved fatal for the Maroons and allowed the Devils to escape. I think O-Boro gives Highlands a good game but do not see any way for them to win. An interesting side note about Coach Martin. He was a finalist along with Tony Lewis for the Hendo job two years ago and Hendo chose Lewis. Maybe the committee knew something that we don't know-----

TO's will decide this game. If OHS has more then Highlands it'll be a 20+ point blowout. I'll be there cheering on the Devils!

I agree with what has been said about the Devils being prone to turnovers and mistakes. They did everything they could to give that game away last Friday. Then they've done other things like let their foot off the gas in games like the one against Bowling Green.

Is Highlands in this game every year?Good lord give someone else a try! LOL

If I remember correctly the last time OHS played in this game it was against this team but that was like 13 years ago. Two years in a row, correct? In both games if I remember correctly OHS could have made it a ballgame but had some costly mistakes and as mentioned earlier they can't afford ANY in this game.

The thing they have going for them is they have big play makers and their QB is a big time leader. I'll be there cheering for OHS but they are going to have to put together the perfect game.

Workout - good point, I agree. Those were all great players as well.

Some points about this year:

BG killed Lexington Catholic too. Highlands has a great team, but Campbell County was within a TD, Bryan Station gave up a late TD and could have won, CCath came back and lost by 3, Ashland only lost by 15. KY teams have been competitive. Highlands did blank Warren Central - pretty impressive win, but other teams have been in the ballpark. I think OHS would beat Ashland, and play with Bryan Station and CCath, so I think there is a possibility of a good game. Owensboro wins the TO battle, catches a few breaks and they may be in business.
This post was edited on 12/3 5:54 PM by Mr Brownstone

Good luck to the Devils this Saturday against the mighty Bluebirds. I know that probably only the fans of OHS think that the Devils have a chance to win. But thats why you play the game.

Been on the Owensboro band wagon all year. If they keep the TOs down, going with them 36-35...

I want a Lizard prediction before this one gets under way, please. He talked the Devils up in the preseason and he deserves his time in the spotlight!!

Thinking of it like the end of ESPN's Around the Horn...

Alright Alex since you asked I will give a prediction - I have been hesitant to give predictions in the playoffs for OHS because I didn't want to jinx anything - I am a little superstitious I guess its the old baseball player in me. I will say this after watching them play toward the end of the year I would have never made a prediction that they would be going to the state final - to be honest I thought that kind of fizzled out like a bad fart. Also, I was almost certain they were going to get beat by Madisonville in the regional final. With that said, this team proven me wrong and has bowed their necks down the stretch in the playoffs. I think I said it before on here this team seems like a team of destiny. Yes, I did talk them up pretty high during the pre - season and for the better part of the regular season. I will also reveal this - although I didn't publicly say this on a message board but I picked against OHS the last two weeks. I can't find it in my heart to do that this week - my heart says OHS but my mind tells me Highlands will win this game. But that is why you play the game - it ain't done on paper.

Gimme OHS by 6
- I hope I am right about this! Good luck to the Red Devils!

Highlands comes back to beat OHS 49-42. Tale of two halves. Highlands made some defensive adjustments. OHS had three turnovers in 2nd half. Highlands had 2 in 1st half, 1 in 2nd half. Great effort by OHS. But you have to give it to Highlands, they showed the true heart of the Champion that they are. Great game to watch.

Don't like the play calling in the second half for Owensboro. First half we were getting the edge and making some big runs but the second everything seemed up the middle where they quickly met the Highlands defense every time. They played a hell of a game though. Just wish they could have closed the deal.

Wild game!

Owensboro looked fantastic in the first half and then changed their game plan in the 2nd and started playing to not lose.

Then called a halfback pass???

Hate it for the OHS kids to get that close and not be able to close out Highlands. OHS looked untouchable on offense jen the first half . OHS D just needed to make a stop in the 2nd half.

Hats off to Highlands to fit back up off the mat and run off that 2nd half performance

But also congratulations to OHS on a great season and even better playoff run, first time in the finals in 14 years. Hard to believe it's been that long.

Notes from the game:

Owensboro had much more speed than Highlands - this showed in the first half as Owensboro threw the ball on slants and fades, as well as got Mike Johnson and Barrett loose on the ends. People say Highlands made adjustments at half - they also made adjustments during the first half - even calling a defensive timeout as Owensboro was driving -still couldn't stop Owensboro. Owensboro was dominating all over the field the 1st half - I think this could have continued with Collier and Walker at WR and Johnson and Barnett on the outside Owensboro did go almost exclusively to fullback give in the 2nd and got some yardage out of it. But Collier was open all day and they forgot about him until late.
On the halfback pass - Collier was open by 5 yds, if the throw is there, OHS up 7 late.OHS defense did a good job in the first half forcing fumbles, creating havoc and getting an INT, forcing a punt early, stopping Highlands 3 straight times at the 1As I rewatched the 4th and 1 for the first time - we have an outside linebacker or CB that gets bearhugged to get Hoge into the endzone - no callPI could have been called on Highlands about 6 more times - I don't think our side judge ever dropped a flag on anythingThe defense worked it's butt off early and allowed a 28-7 lead to be builtHighlands converted 2 4th downs for TD's
Congrats to the devils - great season and great effort

ADVERTISEMENT