ADVERTISEMENT

Caldwell County vs Murray

from Murray-Ledger Times

Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:40 am

Caldwell prevails; Penalties, turnovers cost Murray

EDWARD MARLOWE • Lead Sports Writermurrayledger.com | 0 comments

Head coach Keith Hodge and the Murray Tigers (5-3) were hoping the mistakes that plagued them against Graves County and Mayfield were all part of a learning curve regarding a new system.

Two costly turnovers, 11 penalties and one defensive breakdown wiped out stopping four fourth-down conversions, and the hometown Tigers were left on the wrong side of a 31-24 defeat at the hands of no. 2 Caldwell County - who cinched the district title with the victory and remained undefeated (8-0) on the season.

"I think penalties were the biggest point," Hodge surmised. "We beat them on time of possession, 11 penalties...you can't beat a team like that. You get 11 penalties, you will not win a football game. We were not disciplined, we jumped on offense, held...you just can't do that.

"We let emotion kind of take over in that department with just the small things. You've just got to relax and play smart football."

With Murray's run defense one of the more staunch in the region, the boys from Princeton needed a strong showing from senior star and Purdue commit Elijah Sindelar - who delivered by completing 30-for-51 for 371 yards and three touchdowns and eluded the strong pass rush most of the night.

Caldwell County opened the game on a 12-play, 78-yard drive before Murray stuffed Jaylen Boyd on fourth-and-1 at the one-yard line to prevent the score.

Looking to create space and get out of the back of the endzone, Des'jahvonni Miles handed the ball to Peyton Glynn, but he was brought down in the end-zone for a safety.

Staring at good field position after the free kick, Sindelar rolled out from pressure on third down near midfield and threw off his back foot. Miles read the throw into his hands and returned it to the Caldwell 10-yard line and then would hit Glynn for the 13-yard touchdown to put Murray up 7-2 with 7:01 left in the first quarter.

Caldwell looked stiff on their third drive and had to punt, and Sindelar boomed one against the wind over Murray's return coverage. Keshun Love let the ball bounce off the grass, then plucked it and returned it 85 yards to again give Murray a short field with which to work.

Tre Hornbuckle's catch from Miles in space put Murray inside the five before Elijah Sholar bruised in for a one-yard TD to put the Black and Gold up 14-2 with 2:57 remaining in the first quarter.

Sindelar picked up his first touchdown on a nine-yard pass to Elijah Anderson - capping an eight-play, 62-yard drive to make 14-9 heading into the second quarter.

After swapping possession, Murray reached midfield on a third-down conversion from Miles to Sholar, but the Tigers would fumble on the very next play to give the ball back to Caldwell County.

Murray breathed easy after again stopping Caldwell on fourth-and-16 deep in Tiger territory, but couldn't get anything going on their final drive of the half and had to punt.

With 1:08 remaining in the half, Sindelar hit Boyd for a 32-yard screen in which he went from right sideline to the left. Three completions to Josh Young - Caldwell's leading receiver on the season - put them up 17-14 with 16 seconds remaining in the half.

Murray opened the second half going three-and-out, and Caldwell took advantage. Boyd scored on a three-yard run but the PAT was blocked to make it 23-14 with 8:54 remaining in the third quarter.

It was far from over.

On Murray's next possession, Miles flipped it to Love on the right side for a 37-yard gain, then Jonathan Curd followed with a 41-yard rush up the right sideline to put them in the redzone. A holding call and an incompletion meant Murray was looking to pass, but Miles scampered to his left untouched for the 15-yard touchdown to draw close, 23-21, and 6:57 remaining in the third.

Jackson Cain's kickoff was short, and three plays later Sindelar again had Caldwell in the redzone.

Murray's defense held when Sindelar's fourth-down pass was incomplete in the endzone. Love took the first play of the go-ahead drive right up the middle for 30 yards to get to midfield. Curd picked up three carries for 16 yards and Miles converted a long third-and-nine to put Murray in the redzone before Love was taken off the field with what was an apparent left leg injury.

It wouldn't be in vain - Cain would connect on a 35-yard field goal against the wind to give Murray the lead once more, 24-23, heading into the fourth quarter.

Caldwell's final uppercut came three plays later, however, when Sindelar checked coverage and found Young outside one-on-one against Malik Britt. On the out-and-up route, Sindelar underthrew Young, but it didn't matter.

He still made the catch, and Britt couldn't recover as Young raced for a 58-yard touchdown and Sindelar would complete the two-point conversion to make it 31-24 with 11:34 remaining in the game.

Murray's next drive stalled at midfield after a holding call and high-snap forced them into a third-and-30. An obvious passing situation, Miles was sacked on the all-out blitz - the turning point, Hodge believed, in the whole game.

Caldwell failed to put it away after the punt, though, and went three-and-out - giving Murray one last chance at overtime.

Miles connected with Glynn on a 23-yard pass on fourth-and-17 for some late game heroics, but an interception over the middle from Trevor Davis sealed it.

Murray finished with 210 yards rushing as a team, compared to 95 yards between Caldwell's Dee Cain and Boyd. The Tigers travel next Friday to Madisonville, where they will face the Maroons of North Hopkins. Murray won 34-31 last year at Ty Holland Stadium.

Originally posted by SECHonk:

Like last year, Murray will win if there's a rematch. Just a better team.
Caldwell has won 4 of the last 5 meetings with Murray, including Friday's game on Murray's home field.

So, you're right, Murray is clearly the superior team.

TLDude, sounds like you didn't see the game. I did and except for all the penalties Murray was the better team. They'll clean that up for next game. They are overall better team expecially when it counts in the playoffs.

Oh, I'm agreeing with you. Murray is a much better team in every tangible way to judge football teams, with the exception of, you know, points scored and head-to-head win-loss records.

Despite Murray having fewer first downs than Caldwell, fewer total yards or the fact that two Murray TDs were set up by long interception and punt returns (Murray's offense really only had one scoring "drive" the whole night), Murray is clearly the superior team.

And other than holding, blocking in the back or moving prior to the snap on offense on virtually every play, I can't imagine how Murray could have had so many penalties. It was hardly noticeable from the sideline, can't believe the refs would throw a flag on that stuff.

As I said earlier, you are right, Murray is clearly superior. Stupid Caldwell is just one lucky, lucky football team indeed. I was amazed at how the No. 2-ranked team in the state could "upset" the No. 6-ranked team like that.

I'm trying to figure out which team these two guys are cheering for.... They're so wishy-washy about the whole thing.

Originally posted by broadcaster240:
I'm trying to figure out which team these two guys are cheering for.... They're so wishy-washy about the whole thing.
TLDude is being sarcastic. Yes he is right..
Were their false starts like this?

cottondown-0.gif

This post was edited on 10/20 3:42 PM by Green Nation2

I'm beginning to understand why Mayfield fans dislike Murray fans so much. I was hoping it was just a few bad eggs we met at the game on Friday. I guess some of them are also on message boards.

The best part about Caldwell's win on Friday was that Caldwell scored the winning touchdown while going uphill. Murray had downhill advantage the entire fourth quarter and scored ZERO. You'd think a "better" team would use downhill advantage better than that.

Anyway, congrats to Murray for having the better team. Caldwell fans will just have to live with the consolation prize of a 31-24 win and a district championship. Bummer.

TL is the ultimate Caldwell Co. homer. You see where district title and home field got you last year, eh.

Caldwell had turnovers and penalties too, sounds like sour grapes honk, you will get another chance if you get by Owensboro Catholic at their place.

TL is the ultimate Caldwell Co. homer. You see where district title and home field got you last year, eh.
Don't worry about me. Go celebrate your better team. You deserve it.

-----I am surprised Mr. Honk was at the game. He usually cannot secure tickets for any of the big games-----

Oh I'm not worried about you Homer. You lack any objectiveness when it comes to talking about your beloved blue tigers. I'm guessing you weren't at the playoff game last year and saw the utter domination. Same thing will happen this year if we meet again. Then you can come back here and eat your plate of crow Homer. I doubt you'll be anywhere to be found though.
This post was edited on 10/21 9:02 AM by SECHonk

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

-----I am surprised Mr. Honk was at the game. He usually cannot secure tickets for any of the big games-----
only trouble I ever have is with the big Metcalf Co. games. Those things ain't cheap.

I've been a fan of Caldwell County ever since an inmate from Eddyville threatened a bunch of us on this board. Now that's a true fan!

Well, someone complained just recently that things weren't as lively on the board as they used to be.

You don't suppose ole PawPaw Hoops is actually playing the role of Honk...just to stir stuff up, do you?

Originally posted by katwest:
Caldwell had turnovers and penalties too, sounds like sour grapes honk, you will get another chance if you get by Owensboro Catholic at their place.
-----Assuming they get by Union, OC will be a tough out at thier place. Ray Zuberer might be as good as Sindelar-----

Well, someone complained just recently that things weren't as lively on the board as they used to be.

You don't suppose ole PawPaw Hoops is actually playing the role of Honk...just to stir stuff up, do you?
No, PawPaw's posts are always witty and clever.

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
Originally posted by katwest:
-----Assuming they get by Union, OC will be a tough out at thier place. Ray Zuberer might be as good as Sindelar-----
The Murray High team I saw last week won't beat OCath. Looks like we may get Caldwell-OCath in the third round and first team to 60!

The Murray team I saw last night can play with anyone. There is a lot of size on that team. Their defense is physical. You have to put them in space much like Caldwell did. If your offense can't get 1st downs you will be in for a long night. They grind the football and hold it for long stretches.

TL will you bawl uncontrollably if the blue Tigers fall short, like you did last year?
sad0001.r191677.gif
Never bawled a bit. Congratulated Murray on winning the game that night and wished them good luck the rest of the way.

Doesn't have anything to do with being "better." Scoreboard said Murray won 27-14. It was hardly the beat down some in Murray like to claim it was, but the team that deserved to win that night did.

Originally posted by TLDude:

TL will you bawl uncontrollably if the blue Tigers fall short, like you did last year?
sad0001.r191677.gif
Never bawled a bit. Congratulated Murray on winning the game that night and wished them good luck the rest of the way.

Doesn't have anything to do with being "better." Scoreboard said Murray won 27-14. It was hardly the beat down some in Murray like to claim it was, but the team that deserved to win that night did.
Madisonville won.

Originally posted by Green Nation2:

Originally posted by TLDude:

sad0001.r191677.gif

Madisonville won.
Try and keep up please.

Originally posted by Peopleschamp62:
The Murray team I saw last night can play with anyone. There is a lot of size on that team. Their defense is physical. You have to put them in space much like Caldwell did. If your offense can't get 1st downs you will be in for a long night. They grind the football and hold it for long stretches.
Nobody has said Murray isn't a very good football team. Just that they aren't as talented overall as Caldwell and OCath, both of which are ranked in the top four in the state.

Murray can't afford to make mistakes and beat either Caldwell or OCath. Caldwell made some mistakes early against Murray but still came back and won the game. That's the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT