ADVERTISEMENT

4A

Sep 8, 2014
South Warren, Franklin -Simpson, Warren East, Allen Co....
Who comes out on top with these four teams and why?
Who are some of the players that will make a difference for these teams in 2015?

A lot has to do with who is coaching at these schools.

East and Central have to hire a coach still.

South is loaded.
Central is a loaded
Franklin is loaded
East has one of the two best players in the 2018 class for KY
Allen has the most steady and experienced coaching staff

Good luck to District 1 to even win a first round playoff game in 2015.

Yes, district 2. I forgot W.C. not that they are forgettable, because I'm sure they are a talented bunch.

Collins is still in 4A and has reloaded. IF you just want to talk D2, everything that I am hearing is South Warren.

4A is Johnson Central's to lose. Very little doubt in my mind. If this isn't the year for them, it's a failure.

That's a good question. I have no idea who returns, but I do know what they reload with. Folks running their feeder system do a great job. 4A is the most wide open as it has been this year with Highlands/CovCath moving up and Boyle/LexCath moving down. This is their chance to get one. I can see a dynasty-type situation for them if they play their cards right.

I think South Warren gained a ton of experience with their run in the playoffs last year. I know the doubters will say it was in 3A but they are talented and well coached. Johnson Central I haven't seen, I think the JC folks are finally away from Highlands and Cov Cath so they are feeling pretty good. Collins had a great run with Page, Farris, White, Sames and crew, they are talented and return a lot of their kids but they are not the Collins team that won the state. John Hardin is the team, they are young and talented. They may not start off looking like a state champion but they will develop as the season goes along and I feel pretty sure that there is no one in 4A to match there talent level. Scary good!

John Hardin will still be young. South Warren will be tough and the district they play in is very tough. 4A will see some good matchups early. It will be a good indicator of how 4A in the west should stack up although it will be early. Jh plays South Warren and Warren Centr out of the gate. Should be two good test for all teams and these games should give people an idea of the strength in the west.

Is Johnson Central going to pick up their schedule any? I feel like they always have a good team and fade in the playoffs, because they don't play anyone -- not because they're not as good as them.

Reactions: Wildcat_18
Is Johnson Central going to pick up their schedule any? I feel like they always have a good team and fade in the playoffs, because they don't play anyone -- not because they're not as good as them.

I'm not sure what their schedule looks like this year, but let's be fair...history shows their two biggest problems were Highlands & CovCath. They're both gone, along with Boyle & LexCath.

Johnson Central cannot beat John Hardin. They'll never score on South Warren. They'd struggle against Franklin Simpson and Warren Central.

Reactions: hs_sportsfan
Johnson Central cannot beat John Hardin. They'll never score on South Warren. They'd struggle against Franklin Simpson and Warren Central.

Well it's obvious you are drinking the western Kentucky kool-aid. John Hardin would be a good game. South Warren is not too bad. I don't think FS or WC would come that close to JC. It won't be a walk to the title, but JC's shot got significantly easier from past years. One thing JC should have to their advantage is depth. They normally reload all 11 spots year in and year out for the most part, as they're consistently solid across the board. The other teams you mention normally reload 2-3 pretty good players each freshman class that comes in. Of course that adds up, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Did the Witherspoon kid make it to John Hardin? He should be a sophomore now I believe.

Well it's obvious you are drinking the western Kentucky kool-aid. John Hardin would be a good game. South Warren is not too bad. I don't think FS or WC would come that close to JC. It won't be a walk to the title, but JC's shot got significantly easier from past years. One thing JC should have to their advantage is depth. They normally reload all 11 spots year in and year out for the most part, as they're consistently solid across the board. The other teams you mention normally reload 2-3 pretty good players each freshman class that comes in. Of course that adds up, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Did the Witherspoon kid make it to John Hardin? He should be a sophomore now I believe.

Pretty sure he did. Lewis sent me his tape as an 8th grader and said they would change up some of their scheme to get him the ball in space and down the field. He looks like a true X. However, I didn't see him last year and I'm not sure how much or what he played.

Pretty sure he did. Lewis sent me his tape as an 8th grader and said they would change up some of their scheme to get him the ball in space and down the field. He looks like a true X. However, I didn't see him last year and I'm not sure how much or what he played.

He was a very good player as an 8th grader. We ended up pulling away from them in the 2nd half, but he made it very difficult early on. Just didn't have enough depth & help around him at the time. They used him at running back and part time QB on draws mostly against us. I figured if he ever got some good coaching, he'd be a stud at the next level. He reminds me of Hughes at McCracken (formerly of Lone Oak) a bit. Great ball player.

You know what John Hardin, Warren Central, Franklin-Simpson, and South Warren have that Johnson Central doesn't? They have a depth of team speed and they play people who have more team speed than Johnson Central.

You know what John Hardin, Warren Central, Franklin-Simpson, and South Warren have that Johnson Central doesn't? They have a depth of team speed and they play people who have more team speed than Johnson Central.

Listen, I don't doubt those are good teams. I've coached many kids in 7-9th grade on various all-star teams in Kentucky over the last few years. Some from those schools you mention (Bluegrass @ John Hardin, South Warren, Moss @ WC, & Franklin Simpson...as well as Johnson Central were all represented. Where normally 1 or 2 are good enough from those teams to make all-star teams at that age, JC has 5-6 guys that are good enough at that point and at that level every year. Not just once in a 4 year span. I get that everyone catches up in high school, but as far as heart & will to win...JC kids normally have a quite a bit more than the kids from those schools. Call me bias if that's the case, that's fine, I probably am a little. Those kids will run through a wall when I have never had 1 with that mindset from those western schools you mentioned. Speed means nothing to me when you're not willing to dive to catch a pass, break crisp routes, stay on blocks on the line, go hard 100% of the time, etc. The little things make players/teams great. Don't matter how many stars you have next to your name in the recruiting process or what number is beside your team in the rankings.

Johnny from JC may run a nice route and "run through a wall" but WC, FS, SW, and JH all have those types of kids too...the difference is, that's where JC ends...the other schools all have a Johnny or five or six of them, who will leave you in the dust too.

Listen, I don't doubt those are good teams. I've coached many kids in 7-9th grade on various all-star teams in Kentucky over the last few years. Some from those schools you mention (Bluegrass @ John Hardin, South Warren, Moss @ WC, & Franklin Simpson...as well as Johnson Central were all represented. Where normally 1 or 2 are good enough from those teams to make all-star teams at that age, JC has 5-6 guys that are good enough at that point and at that level every year. Not just once in a 4 year span. I get that everyone catches up in high school, but as far as heart & will to win...JC kids normally have a quite a bit more than the kids from those schools. Call me bias if that's the case, that's fine, I probably am a little. Those kids will run through a wall when I have never had 1 with that mindset from those western schools you mentioned. Speed means nothing to me when you're not willing to dive to catch a pass, break crisp routes, stay on blocks on the line, go hard 100% of the time, etc. The little things make players/teams great. Don't matter how many stars you have next to your name in the recruiting process or what number is beside your team in the rankings.

You obiviously haven't coached these South Central kids lately. You dont have a clue about anyone of these District 2 schools. They all have kids that will run through the wall and take you with them. The title will go to one of these schools!!! JC won't even get there. JH will be tough, but the school that wins the title will be from these schools you say don't have a heart. I'm not bias at all, I don't have a dog in the race. I just like to tell the truth.

You obiviously haven't coached these South Central kids lately. You dont have a clue about anyone of these District 2 schools. They all have kids that will run through the wall and take you with them. The title will go to one of these schools!!! JC won't even get there. JH will be tough, but the school that wins the title will be from these schools you say don't have a heart. I'm not bias at all, I don't have a dog in the race. I just like to tell the truth.

I have not coached them lately and I do not have a clue about any of those District 2 schools. You're right. I'm sure the mindset of those players have changed over the years, don't doubt that. I'm glad if that's the case. Don't let the past fool you. It's been clouded by Highlands, no one really knows where they stand in 4A currently. I don't have a dog in the fight either my man. I'm not a JC fan. Speed isn't everything. Judging by your name, I'd say speed is everything to you. To each their own. It's ok to have different styles.

Reactions: Fastaslightin
Hopkinsville also joins 4A this year in district 1. Could they make some noise in 4A? They've improved quite a bit over the last couple years.

While I think JH is still a year away from being the clear favorite in 4A, they will be a tough out this year come playoff time. They will lose some early games against some tough teams, but it will help them later on. Witherspoon will probably be the backup QB this year and may start at safety depending on how much he has progressed from last year. JH had an outstanding Freshman team last year and could beat anyone in this state at that level and they had a lot more than just Witherspoon. I don't know anything about JC but out west there a lot of really good teams and a number of them could make a run.

Reactions: Adopted Purple
While I think JH is still a year away from being the clear favorite in 4A, they will be a tough out this year come playoff time. They will lose some early games against some tough teams, but it will help them later on. Witherspoon will probably be the backup QB this year and may start at safety depending on how much he has progressed from last year. JH had an outstanding Freshman team last year and could beat anyone in this state at that level and they had a lot more than just Witherspoon. I don't know anything about JC but out west there a lot of really good teams and a number of them could make a run.

You keep talking state title, I would first worry about a Region 2 title.
Collins Freshman class went undefeated on the JV level against some strong upper level completion.

Collins has talent as well, they are still searching for the replacement for Lawson Page. They need to determine who that will be I know what the answer will be that the coach's son is the answer but that is still an area that I would be concerned with if I were a Collins supporter. Region two is tough there are a lot of teams that will have a say in the districts and the region. However JH is the clear favorite in R2.

Oh wow, wait to you see the kid throw bombs on you then come back with hitch and then, run the ball on you...R2 is not a lock my friend.

Oh wow, wait to you see the kid throw bombs on you then come back with hitch and then, run the ball on you...R2 is not a lock my friend.

R2 is definitely not a lock next year, but JH has as much speed and talent as it has ever had beginning in 2016. Athletes everywhere and lots of depth. Last year's Sophomore class had around 25 kids and the Freshman class had at one time 34 kids out. Those are great numbers for a school whose enrollment has plummeted the last 3-4 years. Anyone who has watched these kids the last two years would consider them the favorite provided they continue to progress and no one moves out of the area. I will continue to say they will be a prohibited favorite the next couple of years (minus 2015).

I agree Hoss, the talent level at JH is scary. They may struggle a little early this year but if coach lewis brings them on like last year they will be very scary in November. I am not questioning the talent that Collins, they have a ton but they are also a program that has went through some significant changes with the loss of the DC and the departure of 2 of their better returning players on defense.

Nothing against Collins, but as of right now, I'm more worried about North Oldham from that district. They always seem to be a very good team.

I can't find anywhere what the Collins Freshman and JV teams did last year. Who did they play and who did they beat.

Last edited:
The 4A State Champ will be Franklin Simpson, South Warren, or my choice, John Hardin. They will win at least 3 in a row, if they can pull it off this year.
I think it will either be SW or JH. There are some really solid teams on the west side of 4A but SW will be really good this year and JH well I know people get tired of hearing it but they they are just starting what I expect to be a nice run. Not saying JH will win three titles in a row but they will win 3 Region titles in a row.

I can't find anywhere what the Collins Freshman and JV teams did last year. Who did they play and who did they beat.
They played mostly central ky teams. Anderson, Boyle twice, Franklin. Teams in that Area.
Did not play a Freshman Schedule. All Freshman played on the JV team. Undefeated and conf. champs. I think 4 of those freshman were starting varisty by year end.

They played mostly central ky teams. Anderson, Boyle twice, Franklin. Teams in that Area.
Did not play a Freshman Schedule. All Freshman played on the JV team. Undefeated and conf. champs. I think 4 of those freshman were starting varisty by year end.[/

Franklin-Simpson has lost only once in freshman and JV in the last 3 years. They were beat by South Warren last year. Franklin had beaten SW the first time around in JV pretty easily but they played late in the season and SW won on a last second TD. Word is that Franklin was playing mostly freshman in that game.

Reactions: mcats10
ADVERTISEMENT